Here are notes and links from Presentation on Thursday, October 4, 2018
• Get a Job!
• Have a Plan
• Have a Schedule
• Organize Everything
• Portfolios and Promotion
• Create Your Brand
QUOTING A JOB
• Base your quote on how long you think it will take you – time management
• Multiply by your hourly rate ($15-$25/hr) – hourly rate – keep it a secret
• Additional production costs – scans – reference material - transportation
• Plan to set aside 25% - taxes – costs – insurance – materials – rent…etc.
• The portfolio. The collection of skill, talent, and creative thinking.
• Versatile. Fluid. Innovative. Personal. Narrative. Fresh.
• Customized for client.
• No weakness.
• Multiple forms.
DIVERSIFY YOUR CLIENTS
Selecting a variety of clients creates stability.
• Growth clients – based on volume – self promo is key!
• Ice Ice Baby – one hit wonders – supplemental income
• Blue Chips – Referrals – built on relationships
• New Business – always in pursuit
GOOD ONLINE SOURCES
Directory of Illustration
DIRECT MAIL IS THE BEST PROMOTION!!!!
• Majority of creative buyers now prefer direct mail as best form of contact.
• Website is secondary. Followed by Email and cold call.
• Creative collateral gets attention. Send them something they will keep.
• Target your mailing.
• Current. Evolving. Clean.
• Move content around when pursuing certain clients.
• Make it simple and easy to navigate.
• Recognize professional clients.
• Create links.
Always a professional - the professional attitude.
Your image reflects ‘who’ your are.
What you wear and what you look like matters!
REJECTION IS PART OF THE JOB!
Don’t take it personal.
Many factors are involved. Opinions. Budgets. Needs.
No one will ever love your art as much as you do.
• When you are working – then only work.
• Phones. TV. Movies. Games. Interruptions to workflow.
• Schedule time
TAKE CARE OF YOU!
• Feed your creativity regularly.
• Make time away from the studio.
• Network. Find a community.
• Donate your time and your art.
FREELANCE IS THE PERFECT JOB FOR YOU!
• You have freedom.
• You can make good money.
• You control your schedule.
• You can work at home.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
• It’s a marathon.
• You must have a plan – first thing to do!
• You must be disciplined – focused.
• You must keep a schedule – for you and for clients.
• You must promote your brand – consistently.
• You must feed your creativity.